231/Dana 300 Doubler Build

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Switched gears and built the top plate which the shifter bracket will attach to

Also contacted a guy on Jeepforum who has already done the same thing to get some advice on how exactly he mounted it to the tub. I have an idea or two but why reinvent the wheel. He said he would be contacting me tonight on what he did and any roadblocks. Obviously I will be welding it to the tub with a bit of cutting but its how to get it securely mounted to a tub that is only 18g steel.

That all said, I reserve the right to modify and claim that was always the intent :D

PS, the stitches have held so far and no cut appendages

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Finally 9 months in the making:

Also got the rest of the package and the flip ring for the NV231->AX15.
So for now I have to finish the console, look at seeing if I can patch my torque box rather than replace it and maybe look at seeing if I can build the mount for the new shifter and jury rig to the NV231. I am planning on doing spring fever with the 231 as I don't want SF to be the maiden voyage.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
lol, SF is usually the maiden voyage for most of us! - if I'm ready (which I'm trying to be) it will be my maiden voyage!!

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
lol, SF is usually the maiden voyage for most of us! - if I'm ready (which I'm trying to be) it will be my maiden voyage!!

Lol, at least you have a trailer if it breaks 5 feet into the trail, I would still have to get it home Sunday morning. That said my big concern is if I hit a point where I can't continue but can't roll back.
I have pretty much broken it up into several phases:
- Get doubler mounted.
-potential gotcha 1
- Right now the real unknown that I am playing with is clearance under the Dana 300. The shifters are supposed to sit about an inch or so under.
- workaround: drop the Tummy tuck and maybe look at getting a less tucked one.
-potential gotcha 2
- fitting the rear support. With the tummy tuck it could be so close there may be not enough room to have the crossmember and the bracket under the Dana 300 output
- workaround. Rather than having the crossmember directly under the bracket, have it either parallel or offset.
- Modify shifter location
- I think I have a good idea where it will go and I possibly could put it in and jury rig the existing shifter on a plate attached (already having the Novak cable shifter may give me some play with where it sits) to the new mount. What I need is an old shifter bracket and shifter (@mucovich, you (or JP) don't have your old one from before you switched to the Atlas? If so I would like to borrow it so I can see if this will work plunging in)

- Modify driveshafts
- Front may need lengthening. Rear I am not sure if I need modification or it may just be better to get a whole new one. Entertaining the idea of a Toyota style shaft. I have flanges on both sides so why not?

- Wire up internal winch control
- This is more of a nice to have, but I am also starting to think I may want to actually get a proper fusebox for it, my lockers and the CB it's getting a bit spaghetti-like behind the dash.

I figure if I wait to do it until after 2nd week of June I don't have to rush and if I hit any snags no panicking :)

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
- Wire up internal winch control
- This is more of a nice to have, but I am also starting to think I may want to actually get a proper fusebox for it, my lockers and the CB it's getting a bit spaghetti-like behind the dash.

PA has some inexpensive fuse boxes with covers - I think Mucovich is using one based on the pics in his build as well.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Chris, if you still need a stock shifter bracket I left the whole assembly on my trailer for you. I txted u a pic

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Chris, if you still need a stock shifter bracket I left the whole assembly on my trailer for you. I txted u a pic

Thanks! I will pick it up Saturday morning.

As I am not planning on starting the transplant until after Spring Fever (and maybe after June WAC if I go) I figured I would at least use the time today to build a temporary receptacle for the in-cab winch controls. Will probably temporarily mount it to the tub using one of the bolts that holds down the transmission cover

With the bracket and shift lever that [MENTION=6]bradleyfitz[/MENTION] is loaning me I can start looking at seeing if I can make a temporary mount for the stock bracket. If it is feasible I can do the shifter mount before SF and still have a functioning shifter

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Was able to get the winch controller mounted and tested at JG place winching his old parts zuk onto their trailer. Worked perfectly.
Also picked up the bracket from Brad's place so I can start looking at building the mount

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
With the bracket that Brad lent me I was able to throw together a redneck inspired mount for the stock shifter.

Still need to finish tapping the holes but I think it will do in a pinch. I also need to fab up a quick and dirty bracket for the cable that attaches to the bottom of the shifter. The benefit of doing this is that there is enough time that I can get this done and mounted before Spring Fever and once I do the doubler, I easily swap out the bracket with the triple shifter and hook it up. This isn't supposed to look pretty in any way, all it needs to do is function.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Looks good - I have made quite a few decisions myself along those same lines, it don't got to look pretty, just function as designed!

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Started cutting....

Going to pull off the bracket (for the Novak Cable shifter later I promise)

(Sorry for the blur)
Right now the portion of the tub where the seat sits on which is a second layer is interfering with the bracket the driver side cable of the three attaches to. I will probably have to cut into that and shape it.
PM'd a guy on Jeepforum what he experienced and how he dealt with it.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Shortly after I posted the above I went back out and cut back into the second layer and the tub about 4 inches back and 3 inches high. What I will end up doing is fill in the gap between the two layers and ultimately that section will be exposed to the outside. This will give the cable a bit of room behind the bracket which will bend in. My plan is the shifter order from driver to passenger will be doubler, front, back. I will then have to look at blending that in with the mount. The good news is that covering up that new hole will not be a big deal as it looks like the issue was the cable had no where to go.

I also took a piece of 2x2 square tube and cut one side off to make it into the new bracket that the novak cable shifter will mount to instead of the mount which used to be bolted to the tub. I then cut out a small piece of steel and drilled the appropriate hole size. This will be welded into the square tube for the cable to mounted on. Quick and dirty and ugly but it needs to work for only a month and a bit.

If the weather is ok this weekend and I have the time I want to do the following:
- get fitment for the piece welded on for the old shifter and weld it
- box in the newly cut hole
- start looking at building up the frame for the new mount.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Boxed in the portion that the cable shifter will go in.

This hole will ultimately be covered up and is needed as the driver side cable will be angling down under the tub

More or less finished the bracket for the temporary stock mount. However the placement of the mounting for the shifter side needs to be nailed down. I thought I had it right but I can't get it into 4lo. I think the mount needs to move forward maybe a half inch.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Took a couple minutes this morning and got the stock shifter mount working. What I thought I was 2hi and 4hi was actually neutral and 4 lo. I started second guessing myself threw the seat back in and realized right away where I was. Moved the mount about an inch back from where it was made sure there was no binding and looks like it worked. If I have an opportunity this afternoon, I will pull the stock mount off and weld it up a bit more securely. A lot of it is just tack welds. Boy is it ugly (I will get a picture), a lot of the issues has been I didn't want to cut the tub in front of the mount but unlike the new mount which attaches from the rear (hence the boxed in hole) the Novak system uses the stock holes in the tub and expects the cable to be mounted about 9" from the lever when in 4-lo and about 7.5" in 2hi so not a lot of forgiveness.

trixter192

Club Member
I saw Chris' custom center console yesterday. Looks great. Chris, just get the spray can bedliner for it, so you can get in all the nooks and crannies.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I saw Chris' custom center console yesterday. Looks great. Chris, just get the spray can bedliner for it, so you can get in all the nooks and crannies.

I was figuring flat black but the bedliner will go well. I also think i have a can and a half of it left from a while back

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
When the wife's away, Chris will play. I got a lot done today.
The mount is done just needs to smooth up some welds and then be painted

Have the stock shifter mounted.

Also pretty much finished fabbing the new console (key word is pretty much there is still a bit more). Behold and be envious of the plethitude of cup holders!

It will look a lot better with some paint on it.