231/Dana 300 Doubler Build

MattK

I need some kind of triples or i'll get all kinds of organizationally challenged ;) So glad I found your thread and the info.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I need some kind of triples or i'll get all kinds of organizationally challenged ;) So glad I found your thread and the info.

Not a problem, whole point for this is to educate and to see where I have issues and what works. Why reinvent the wheel when you don't need to.

Should warn you that assuming it is for your XJ you will want to put it as close to the center of the tunnel as you can get. It is a wide unit and will come in pretty far into the driver portion of the front.
I actually found someone who had posted a picture of what the universal mount looked like but can't find the link now. Basically it kind of looks like a set of brass knuckles for lack of a better description. I will make sure when I finally get the cables and the bracket that I take a picture of it.

Last edited:

MattK

You referring to the width of the complete doubler? I know I'm probably going to have to cut at least one side of the floor, just hoping I don't have to reconfigure my welded in seat mounts too much. I don't need to worry about clocking it to flat as my crossmembers are already a few inches below my uni-body. So I can keep it a little lower if need be.

MattK

Lost that 50/50 dice roll ;) Should be ok with the shifters as I am planning a full console rebuild something like Muco's. I want to reorganize everything and place it all where I want. It is definitely something to keep in mind though!

Another question, I saw you ordered a new clocking ring, did you not have one with the kit or did you need something different?

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Lost that 50/50 dice roll ;) Should be ok with the shifters as I am planning a full console rebuild something like Muco's. I want to reorganize everything and place it all where I want. It is definitely something to keep in mind though!

Another question, I saw you ordered a new clocking ring, did you not have one with the kit or did you need something different?

I am doing the same thing with making my own console, however I came across a guy who had done a clean modification of the center console and it looked really good but I also just ordered the in-cab winch switch panel from 12voltguy and will be incorporating that in my console.

It didn't come with a clocking ring for the 231 but I ordered one from NWF just in case. I know Dwayne didn't need one and I would rather have it and not need it and I am pretty sure I can send it back to him and he won't gripe since I have waited this long for my cables.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Remember they both are flipped, the 231 needs to be flipped as well since it is weirdly shaped. When flipped, what is now the passenger side of the 231 which protrudes out more than the now driver side may benefit in a bit of tweaking as it may hit either the cat or the tub.

If you can clock the 300 after the 231, why would you want to clock the 231?

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Remember they both are flipped, the 231 needs to be flipped as well since it is weirdly shaped. When flipped, what is now the passenger side of the 231 which protrudes out more than the now driver side may benefit in a bit of tweaking as it may hit either the cat or the tub.

If you can clock the 300, why flip the 231?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I know pretty much nothing about doublers. I would have expected the 231 to bolt up as is and just move the D300 around on the back of it to fit in the expected orientation. Another reason to like the BlackBox and other offerings - symetrical with a lot more clocking options. I just wish they didn't cost so much more.

MattK

You need to flip the 231 in a drivers drop application due to the shape of what is left of it. If you didn't flip it you would have interference issues between the 231, 300 front outputs and shifters.

essentially the 231 needs to be oriented in the opposite direction to the 300 either way.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
If you can clock the 300, why flip the 231?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I know pretty much nothing about doublers. I would have expected the 231 to bolt up as is and just move the D300 around on the back of it to fit in the expected orientation. Another reason to like the BlackBox and other offerings - symetrical with a lot more clocking options. I just wish they didn't cost so much more.
See what Matt says. I will get a picture and it will make more sense but if you look at it, the side where the front output was on the 231 was cut back but not perfectly due to where the existing bolt holes were, that interferes with the 300's front output so you flip it. I would have gone with the Blackbox if they weren't so pricey.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Talked to Kyle at NWF, sounds like the original manufacturer is giving him the runaround again. But he has 200 cables ordered from the new suppliers and should be getting them in about 4 weeks.
Got the new Atlas ring from TMR. The outer diameter of the Novak is a little wider than the inner diameter of the ring. I will be grinding a smidge away to fit it. Should be fine.

MattK

I'm wondering, when it comes time for me to order, if I should just get NWF to sell me the shifters and mounting brackets and then source the cables locally, if that's even realistic...