PROJECT - "Truck No More"

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
very cool, if those can make a 4.0L sound good then they're going to make that 5.3 sound awesome! and nice rad.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Video of some different exhaust combo's

I am going to try and get the mufflers in the middle somehow to cut down on the back flow sound.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
I like the part where the exhaust knocks the cameras over.
Do you not have boys that will rev the engine up for dad?

trukie

Zooklounge Crawler
Club Member
Sounds sweet. I like the quiet idle and the sweet tone while reving. I'll bet its going to sound awesome under load.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
So I remembered I had a DB guage in my bag of tricks from when I used to care about setting my home theater system, so I pulled it out and took some measurements.

The old mufflers and the new ones are pretty much identical on sound level. They are both at about 75 DB at idle and 83 Db at 2000 RPM

This is taken from in the drivers seat and in the garage (I am sure it would be a lot lower if the buggy was outside)

The main difference is the sound, the old ones are a lot higher sounding when the new ones are a deeper sound.

A little loud for my tastes however so I am definitely going to try to get them mounted in the middle of the exhaust to make as long of a tail pipe as I can.

EDIT - So I just took if for a quick drive - 90db going down the road at about 2500 rpm - way too loud ;)

Last edited:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
GOAL - I want to be able to have a conversation in the buggy while driving down the road so according to this scale:

I am looking to achieve about a 60-70db range.

R

ROUGHcrawl

I like it!! Nothing worse then having to turn the buggy off so you can hear people hooting and hollering after you made it up a climb.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
No shroud first, depends on how good it cools without. Fan can be a pusher but I would rather have a puller. For the price of the lower profile fan, well worth it IMHO.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Crossflow, single pass. I think it's this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/gri-1-25202-xs/overview/

Or close to it. In hind sight, Summit has a house brand CJ SBC conversion rad for the same price that I wish I had seen. Getting the brackets TIG welded on cost more than the rad, and they blew a bunch of holes in it. Next one will probably be the same one you picked up, but I'll just build a damn cradle instead. Sucks not having a welder yet.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Rad's in - 2" C-Channel makes a perfect support:

Foam strips added for protection:

Fan:

Upper support:

Room to spare ;)